These are snack ideas for after a hard workout.
I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings ….but a walk around the neighborhood or a relaxing yoga class (some can be hard!) doesn’t count. I’m glad you’re doing those, they just don’t require you to fuel up like other activities.
You’ve used your glycogen after a hard workout, (muscle and blood sugars) and so now your next fuel source are those nice muscles you’ve been working on. If you don’t replenish within 30min ( I know it’s hard sometimes) your muscle mass will start dwindling away. Let’s avoid that and give our bodies something else to munch on.
Rule of thumb intake a carb to protein ratio of 2:1 or even 3:1 (more for a super hard workout… think long distance triathlon training). About 150-200 calories worth of a snack is sufficient. More if you went 1hr+. If your eating a meal after, obviously you don’t need a snack. 🙂
Here are some that I like:
1. Fruit and Cottage Cheese, top 1/2 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, berries, or melon… don’t forget to add super spice cinnamon!
2. REAL Peanut Butter (only ingredient) or Almond Butter (1-2tbs) and an Apple, Banana, Whole Wheat Waffle/Whole Wheat Toast with/without banana.
3. Yogurt Parfait: Top 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt with almond slices or walnuts, top with fresh strawberries. mmm mmm
4. Yummy Shake: Scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder, 1/2 banana, Almond Milk, 1tbs Peanut Butter, lil ice…
5. Small Tuna Sandwich: Make your Tuna with a lil non fat greek yogurt, black pepper, onion, celery, cayenne pepper and a small squeeze of lemon.
6. Eggs (more whites) and Wheat Toast
7. Eggs n Veggies: I make it with egg whites, spinach, bell pepper and onion. yummy.
8. Steel Cut Oats and PB: I usually make extra in the morning (made with almond milk), so I’ll have some left over with 1 tbs PB.